Monday, March 9, 2009

Rome Burned Down

Wow. I spoke too soon. Five hours ago I sat at a cafe down the street from the hotel where I have met my Peace Corps group, handwriting the previous Bignes blog. Then I typed it off and went down to meet my group, only to learn:

Our trip to Madagascar has been cancelled. Evidently it's obvious if you look at the BBC today. The military is no longer backing the President. It would be unsafe for us to go. I'm cancelled. Suffice it to say that we are a gloomy group. Tomorrow I will fly to upstate New York since they have to fly me somewhere.

I do not know what happens next.

3 comments:

juliloquy said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry.

Also - argh, I've been thinking of you and meant to check in. Unfortunately, Chris has been sick since Sunday night, so I have been on full-time kid duty. So sorry to have missed your second Philly visit. Please come back when you can!

Gretel said...

Aye!! Lots of people sick. My friend Amy bought me oregano oil to ward of sickies. So far so good. And thanks for the commiseration. I'm hoping to have a placement conversation today to see what my options are. And looking at USAJobs. Alas.

Rand said...

We've been thinking about you and wondering what would happen...now we know. Kind of anyway. Any ideas where you'll end up? We've lost your email addy.